At the end of the war, the large Saint-Malo lock had been almost completely demolished. Its reconstruction was undertaken from 1947.
Cofferdams were installed downstream and upstream to isolate the site from the sea and the basin. A Bailey bridge was installed over the upstream cofferdam to allow passage from one side to the other of the lock.
The next task was to clear away the rubble.